Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, May 21, 2012

"We're tractin', knockin' on doors all day. Contactin'..."

Happy Monday to y'all,
This week reminded me of a rap one of my previous companions and I made up..."we ain't got no money and we ain't got no fame, but day after day we preach the gospel in His name. We're tractin', knockin' on doors all day. Contactin', givin' Book of Mormons there's no shame. You can try to make us frown, but you'll never bring us down. We got the Lord on our side, and we'll preach until we die." Here are some funny tracting experiences for ya...when walking down one street and before we even started walking up to one house a lady yells "please don't come up here" (in a distressed sounding voice) to which I just replied "okay." She was polite and said thank you and all I could think to say was "you're welcome." I kinda chuckled to myself because I should have acted a little more upset about not getting to share the fantastic message of the gospel with her. Live and learn.
As we continued tracting that day we met a Vietnamese lady. She spoke absolutely no english. She had us wait on the porch for a few minutes while her grandson was brushing his teeth. Then she invited us in to wait. Finally her grandson came down the stairs...wearing nothing but boxers. We quickly told him we were there to share a message about Jesus Christ, but he said they were budhist. It was super awkward, but funny at the same time. You'd be surprised at how people here greet you. hahaha.
Zone Conference was this past week, and it was a bittersweet one for me. I love Zone Conferences, and this one was my last :( We were told by our mission leaders to come prepared with a 3 minute talk on a principle from the Book of Mormon, because they were going to pick some missionaries to give theirs. I just knew when we received the assignment that I was going to be called on to speak, and I honestly didn't really mind. Sure enough, out of only 4 missionaries called on I was one of them. It's times like this that I realize how much I have learned and grown on the mission. If you would have asked me to give a 3 minute talk like that at the beginning of the mission I would have been stressing out about it for the week leading up, beggin Heavenly Father to have them call on someone else to give theirs. I've noticed how that is one change that has taken place...I can get up infront of people and it doesn't bother me. I am more confident in doing it. The mission truly has changed my life and is making me a better person. Still, I have a long ways to go. Good thing I have some time :)
I had an amazing experience yesterday while teaching a less-active. We have been trying for weeks to set up an appointment to meet with him. We told him we just wanted to practice our lessons and were trying to do it with all the members (which is true), so he reluctantly agreed. We started off teaching, and I quickly realized that this was not just practice. This member was really in need of help. The first question I asked was "how did you come to know that God is your Heavenly Father." Little did I know it would bring out a lot of his concerns. He's not sure there is a God. I realized during this lesson that you can't tell by looking at someone what they're going through. I would have never guessed that this was the reason he was less-active. I also didn't realize before the extent to which he was less-active. We let him do a lot of the talking, and we were just there to listen. And for once on the mission I was comfortable with silence. I knew he needed that time to think and ponder on the questions we were asking him. President Collins (the Branch Pres) came in part way through the lesson and he shared some amazing personal experiences with James. The Spirit was so strong. A couple of times throughout the lesson James would make reference to his mission and his Patriarchal Blessing. I know there is still a little flame of belief burning within him, that fire just needs to be rekindled. There have only been a few times on the mission where my heart just aches for a particular person, and this was one of them. As we sat and I listened to him talk I could see him in his future with a family-active in the church. I know that this is just a moment of struggle for him, and that this trial and experience will make him stronger.
The gospel of Jesus Christ changes and blesses lives. I have seen the miraculous power of the Atonement in the lives of others and myself. This is the greatest work on the Earth. I am so grateful for the experiences I am having on the mission. There are definitely days I wonder why I'm here, but I wouldn't go home for anything. This is where I need to be at this time.
I hope y'all have a wonderful week! Don't forget to share your testimony with someone this week.
with much love, Sister Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment