Monday, June 4, 2012
Baptism, Ice Cream, and Amazing People
Hello Hello!
Lots of ups and downs this week, but Saturday was so amazing that it makes up for all of the bad. When I was in Loganville the second time we were teaching a wonderful couple, Scott and Anny. Back in November they told us that they had already made up their mind; they were going to be baptized. It was only a matter of "when" not "if". Both had problems with the word of wisdom. Anny was able to overcome hers when I was there, and Scott has been working REALLY hard since then to stop smoking. Well, about 7 weeks ago they came to visit Sister Hinckley and myself and take us to dinner. Sister Hinckley was very bold with him and told him he just needs to stop cold turkey. Later that night he had an appointment with the Sisters in Loganville and they were finally able to set a date with him. This was a huge step for him because he didn't want to set a date and have that stress. But the Spirit was apparently working on him. So Saturday the day came for them to be baptized. Oh what a beautiful service that was! I got permission to go, and it was exactly what I needed.
I got to see a few members from the Monroe ward and even a couple of members from Suwanee! That was a very pleasant suprise. I got an update on another investigator (one of my all time favorites) that I taught the first time I was in Loganville. She was actually my very first investigator. Anyway, she has been doing super well. Her and her husband picked back up on the lessons about 6 weeks ago (this time with the Elders). Brittony has come to find out that the Book of Mormon is true. This is huge! She is going to be baptized sometime in July or August when her sister is home from college. I am so happy that she has come this far. Sister (or Mama) Carlisle and her daughter, Ashley, came with the Suwanee sisters to the baptism. I was so thrilled to see them. Mama Carlisle is so so nice to all of the missionaries. She took us in as if we were her own. (Mom and Dad, you'll probably remember her. She's the one who called Dad on Father's Day and Mom on your birthday.)
We got transfer calls today and, just as I expected, my companion and I will be staying. I am really really excited for this transfer. There is a lot I want to accomplish, and I am so ready to just go out and do it. There are a lot of less-actives that we get to work with, and we are going to try even harder to get some new investigators. Sorry, there are no updates on investigators right now. Our main focus in this area is less-actives (that is what our mission President wants us to focus on) so we don't have any investigators currently.
I am also very excited about my new district. Sadly, my current district leader is done with his mission. He was a great leader and taught us a lot (atleast I learned a lot from him) Elder Diehl is going to be our new district leader. I served in the same district as him when I was in Commerce and he is a very diligent, hard working missionary. We also have Elder Richards and Elder McGary who are also really hard working missionaries. There will be another Elder in the district fresh out of the MTC. It will be great!
We have been able to do a lot of service the past couple of weeks. And it is one of the best service opportunities I have had on the mission :) My favorite thing to do is help out at nursing homes/assisted livings/care centers. I have been fortunate enough to get to do it in a couple of areas. Here we get to scoop ice cream in a cute little ice cream shop at a life care center. The Elders do it every Wednesday, and we get to every Thursday. As well as some Saturdays and a couple of Mondays. It has been a lot of fun. We have the opportunity of getting to know some of the residents as well as employees. And some family members who are regular stop-ins.
I have one request for y'all, there is a fairly new missionary in the mission who is in the hospital. He may need to have surgery, and if he does then he will have a long (several month) recovery and will have to stay here in Georgia for that. I'm sure that is not easy for his family. So please keep Elder Jeffs and his family in your prayers.
This gospel is true and I love being able to share it with others. I want y'all to know that I know Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. I know they love us with an infinite love that will never cease. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and it has brought me closer to Christ and has given me great understanding. Joseph Smith was an instrument in God's hands in bringing back what was lost. We have an important role, as members of this church, to share what we know to be true. Missionary work is so so important, and it is the lifeblood of the church. Always look for opportunities to share simple testimony of what you know to be true.
with much love,
Sister Taylor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment