Monday, June 11, 2012
Starting the transfer off right
Dear family and friends,
This has been an absolutely amazing week! Hard work and diligence really pays off. I have a feeling this transfer is going to be great! We've been getting a lot of referrals lately, and we were able to contact them this week. Last Monday while I was emailing we got a text message from Salt Lake City with a referral for this guy named Jamar. All it said was that he called the mission office and needed to talk about his spiritual needs and to call him asap. We called him and he wanted to meet with us that day, but unfortunately was busy. We're really hoping to get in to teach him soon. We also got a referral from some of the Elders. Yveca was a former investigator that they had lost contact with. We went to go see her and she let us in right away and wanted us to teach her then. She is from Haiti and has a cool accent. The Elders had set a baptismal date with her for April, and when we mentioned it she had forgotten. But she wanted us to come back tonight to teach all about baptism. Sister Bulouniwasa and I are so excited for this appointment.
On Tuesday after district meeting we were having district lunch and some of the Elders introduced us to a guy named Chris. He works with a couple of members and he is interested in learning more. We set up a time to meet with him on Saturday, and had a team-up there, but unfortunately he never showed up. We're still trying to get in touch with him. We really feel like he is interested, and we're hopeful that something just came up and he was unable to make it. We're just keeping the faith and praying we'll get a hold of him soon.
While contacting at a park early on in the week we met an amazing girl named Mariel. She is 18 and still in high school, so technically we can't teach her yet. (She'd have to be passed off to the Elders) But she just kept asking question after question. I loved talking with her. Her mom was with her, but only speaks Spanish so unfortunately we couldn't communicate with her. But we gave Mariel a copy of the Book of Mormon and all the information about the branch (church and activities) as well as the Spanish branch. She really wants to go there with her mom to check it out. But right now she just wants to study it out for herself, and not meet with the missionaries quite yet. We just encouraged her to pray and read, which she said she will do :)
The last referral we received was actually from an investigator. We were teaching Kelvin a few weeks ago but had to pass him off to the Elders. But since the Elders can't get to him very easily (a long way to bike) we have been meeting with him to just read from the Book of Mormon. Anyway, he gave us his address so we could go visit his wife, Maisha, and see if she was interested in learning more. We went and approached it as if we were tracting (Kelvin doesn't want her to know he sent us). It's actually kind of funny because their 3 boys know us from the park. I'm actually quite surprised they haven't ratted on their dad. But we talked to her for a couple of minutes and she set up a time for us to come back and teach. We went in to the lesson thinking it would probably be a one time visit. But we were pleasantly surprised to find out she is actually interested. We focused a lot on families and praying as a family. We also committed her to read the Book of Mormon and pray on her own. We will be meeting with her again tomorrow and I am so excited. The only bad thing is that after tomorrow (provided the lesson goes well) we will have to pass her off to the other sisters. I LOVE working in the young single adult branch, but it's always a bummer when you have to pass off awesome investigators because they're not "young" and they're not single. But as long as she's being taught I guess it doesn't really matter :)
I found an awesome quote this week by President Monson, and a song he quoted in a talk he gave to the Young Women. He said, "There will be times when you will face challenges which might jeopardize your testimony, or you may neglect it as you pursue other interests. I plead with you to keep it strong. It is your responsibility, and yours alone, to keep its flame burning brightly. Effort is required, but it is effort you will never, ever regret." Then he quoted the song by Julie de Azevedo Hanks who wrote:
Through the winds of change
Encircled by the clouds of pain
I guard it with my life
I need the warmth--I need the light
Though the storm will rage
I stand against the pounding rain
I remain
A keeper of the flame!
I know I have written about it a lot lately, but the focus in the branch seems to be on testimony and not only building a testimony, but strengthening it. I personally have gained so much every time they talk about it. The past couple of months have been really difficult, and there have been times where I have felt like I was losing my testimony, or like it wasn't as strong as I thought it was. And it's a good thing I recognize those times, because I get scared into praying more sincerely and studying my scriptures more sincerely to reaffirm the testimony I do have. I have felt at times that I have literally been clinging to my testimony. But as President Monson said "Effort is required, but it is effort you will never, ever regret." Slowly, but surely, I have seen the light shining brighter and brighter at the end of the tunnel. My testimony has been growing all throughout the mission, but even more so the past couple of months. And I am starting to notice it more and more. I do know without a shadow of a doubt that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. He came to this earth, performed miracles, organized his church, and set an example for us to follow. He died for you and for me, and he was resurrected. He lives! I know that we have a Father in Heaven who hears and answers ALL prayers. When we are down, He will lift us up. Both Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us with an infinite love that is pure! I know without a shadow of a doubt that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. The Bible is also the word of God. In them you can find all the guidance and strength you need. I also know that Joseph Smith was an instrument in God's hands in bringing back what was once lost. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fullness, and will never be lost from the earth again. We have a Prophet on the earth today who can lead us and guide us. I know these things to be true because I have sincerely prayed to know. If you haven't yet come to know these things to be true for yourself, I would invite and encourage you to pray and sincerely ask God if they are. He will not withhold truth from you. I leave my testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ.
Thank you so much for all of your support. I am grateful for all of my family and friends. I hope y'all have a marvelous week!
with much love,
Sister Taylor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment