Monday, May 7, 2012
Am I in Africa or Georgia?
Dear family and friends,
A lot has happened this week. We have been teaching some amazing people. The only bad thing is that we had/have to pass most of them off to other missionaries (due to area restrictions or their age). But I still want to share with you how amazing these individuals are.
Kelvin is a guy we met at Sweetwater Park. He is a personal trainer, and is there working most days all day. I may have talked about him last week, but when we first met him we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and he shared a little of his story with us. About 15 years ago when he was living in New York a couple of Elders were teaching him for about 2 months. But then someone told him that Mormons don't like African Americans and that you have to be Caucasian to be a member. So he stopped having lessons. But he told me during our first lesson that he watches me as my companion and I walk around the park contacting. He said he is impressed at how I am accepting of other races and that I am friends with them. He said he has especially noticed how I just walk around with my companion (she is Fijian and dark skinned) and was friendly towards her. It's something that doesn't seem huge to me, but to someone who has I guess dealt with racism in his life it is a big deal. But anyway, this guy is so wonderful. He always asks such genuine, heart-felt questions. He keeps telling us that he is "hungering and thirsting". Obviously in a spiritual sense. He has really liked what we've shared with him about the gospel. I'm sad that we have to pass him off, but at least he's taking the lessons from someone.
As most of you know, I really would not have minded going to Africa on my mission (in fact, that's where I REALLY wanted to go), and it's weeks like this that really help me to know that God is aware of our desires. I feel like I have the best of both worlds here because just this past week we have met 4 Africans! Three from Ethiopia (all in different places) and one from Nigeria. I love being in Georgia, but it's also nice to see people from other countries, especially African countries :) We are actually teaching one of the Ethiopians. (well, until we pass him off to the Elders in a couple of days) Shime is awesome! He is here in the United States working 3 jobs to support his family of 8 siblings back home. He is Orthodox, but is interested in learning about what we believe. We have met with him a couple of times this past week.
Shadia is our only investigator that we can keep :) We met with her for the second time this week and taught the Plan of Salvation. She actually told us the first time that she only wanted to meet once more so she could learn about God's plan. But after the lesson, she agreed to continue meeting. This lesson answered a lot of questions she had.
We were able to witness a beautiful baptism on Saturday. Kelly was baptized and confirmed, and she was absolutely glowing. She has such an amazing spirit. She has taught me a lot about enduring trials and keeping a positive outlook on everything. She has a very strong testimony and it shows in her face. There is a poem that I love called "It shows in your face"
It goes like this:
"You don't have to tell how you live each day;
you don't have to tell how you work or play;
A tried and true barometer stands in its place,
you don't have to tell, it will show in your face.
The false, the deceit that you bear in your heart,
will not stay inside where it first got a start;
for sinew and blood are a thin veil of lace--
what you wear in your heart, you wear in your face.
If your life is selfless, if for others you live,
for not what you get, but how much you can give;
if you live close to God in his infinite grace--
you don't have to tell, it shows in your face."
Kelly is an amazing example of that.
Well, I hope y'all have a wonderful week. Take care! Happy Mothers Day to the women :)
with much love,
Sister Taylor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment