Monday, April 30, 2012
The Box vs. The Pearl
Hello family and friends,
Things sure are picking up here in the Mountain Park Branch. I am excited for this week. Good things are to come. But before I tell about that, I just wanna say that I feel like I lost one of my best friends. *tear* Ok, I'll stop being so dramatic. But I never realized how much I was going to miss my last companion, Sister Hinckley. She was such an amazing companion and friend. She has definitely helped me with a lot of stuff. I'm sure she will do great in her new area though, and be able to help a lot of people come closer to Christ.
My new companion, Sister Elesi Bulouniwasa has such a sweet spirit. Everyday I am amazed at how happy she is. She sings or hums church songs all day long (really, all day), and I love it. It really does help to keep the spirit with us. She is such a good missionary and a hard worker, which is so great! It's always nice to have a diligent companion.
Ok, now for all of the super fantastic news...Kelly is getting baptized on Saturday!!! This girl is absolutely amazing, and I look up to her so much. She is extremely strong in the gospel and has the strongest testimony ever. She will be one amazing member, that's all I gotta say. She has come so far, and really emulates the light of Christ. She's already beaming, I can't imagine what she will be like after her baptism.
This is my miracle for the week...last night we received a call from the Lilburn sisters giving us a referral. This is the best referral I have ever received. They said that yesterday they met this guy named Chris. They had actually gone with a member to his neighborhood/apartment complex for another appointment, and he was just waiting outside ready to be taught. Their other appointment fell through, so they taught him. He had apparently been taught by Elders in the past and had a copy of the Book of Mormon, which he has been reading. He told them that he knew Joseph Smith was a true Prophet and that the church is true. Music to a missionary's ears. They asked him if he would follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized. He said yes and they set a date for May 20th. So we now have two people getting baptized this next month, which is so exciting. The gospel changes lives.
We are also teaching a girl named Shadia. She goes to school at GGC. We met with her and a couple of her friends this past week. Unfortunately, her friends are not interested in learning more. However, Shadia is and she is excited to hear about the Plan of Salvation. She has had some really good questions, and they are always so sincere. I look forward to getting to know her better and teaching her more.
Elder L. Tom Perry, from the Quorum of the Twelve came to Georgia and spoke at a Stake Conference in Athens. (I obviously was not able to go) But while he was here he also spoke to all of the Bishops and Branch Presidents in the area. Yesterday during third hour President Collins talked about one of the things Elder Perry talked about. He showed a picture of a beautiful box that had a pearl in it. Then he told about how people look so much at the box that they miss the true treasure...the pearl. President Collins talked about how the box could be things such as a church meeting house, the temple, ward council, a home, the conference center/stake center, etc. He then said that the pearl, and the things that are of more value would include the Sacrament, the Spirit, ordinances, names (God's children), family, and messages/revelation. But then Brother Loo (1st counselor in the Branch Presidency) talked about THE pearl. That is testimony. Our testimonies of the gospel are so valuable. They mean everything. However, testimonies need to constantly be nourished. We need to continually study the scriptures, attend the temple as often as possible, going to church meetings, and ultimately being converted to the gospel-not just the church. Elder Halstrom in his General Conference talk said "The purpose of the church is to help us live the gospel." Too many people are converted to the church, but they are not truly converted to the gospel. Honestly, this is how I was before the mission. I loved all church programs and I loved going, but when it came to personal application of the gospel there were places where I was lacking. Places such as personal prayer and scripture study each day. I hope that we can all be truly converted to the gospel, and constantly nourishing our Pearl.
One interesting question that President Collins posed was if several bishops or leaders within my stake were to turn their backs on the church and say it wasn't true, would I be strong enough to stay? That is something to think about. This world is growing darker and darker and people are falling away from the teachings of the church. But as we nourish our testimonies and seek to strengthen them each day, we will not fall when others do.
The gospel means so much to me and I am grateful for the opportunity and blessing I have to share it with others. I hope y'all are doing well and that you have a wonderful week! Take care!
with much love,
Sister Taylor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment