Hola Mi Familia/Amigos,
Before you get too excited, know that this is not Hermana (Alyssa) Taylor. (I know, what a disappointment) I just felt like writing something in Spanish after reading her letter. It is so good to read about how she is doing, because I miss her dearly. People are always asking me if it's hard to be away from her, and I have to hold back tears every time. My companion always gets choked up when I say something about her. She's emotional enough for the both of us I guess. haha.
On to the most exciting news of the week....the very first lesson I taught while on my mission (to a REAL investigator) went soooo well. We met Ryan Green last Monday at our apartment complex. He was locked out of the apartment gym, so my companion and I let him in. We didn't talk to him for long, but we asked if we could meet with him on Wednesday to share a message with him. He accepted, and then hurried off to work. So Wednesday rolls around and we had been in Lilburn all day for leadership training. During that training we were doing role plays and Sister Eversole and I decided to use Ryan Green as our investigator in the role play. (this helps to practice what we are really going to say to the person) The point of this role play was to invite the person to be baptized. We did, and the spirit was felt so strong by everyone. My companion was playing the investigator and she even started to tear up. We knew that if the real lesson went that way, that we would be able to commit Ryan to be baptized and he would accept. We went to a members house for dinner and kept telling them that we were going to commit Ryan to baptism that night. We never doubted it. We went straight from dinner to our appointment. Like I said before, the lesson went really well. We taught about Joseph Smith, and prayer and how God calls prophets. Then, the moment we had been waiting for....we committed Ryan to be baptized. Did he accept? Of course, haven't you been reading??? We doubted not, so of course he accepted. haha. But really, our first lesson with him. I may have been a little excited. (or A LOT excited) So now we are going to teach, teach, teach so he can be baptized. The Lord really does know his children, he knows those who are prepared and he puts them in our path. It was not coincidence that Ryan locked his keys in the apartment gym, it is not coincidence that at that same time my companion got locked out of the apartment laundry room next door. We were supposed to meet Ryan, and the Lord made it happen. I can't wait to see Ryan learn and grow in the gospel. He is ready for it.
I have met many wonderful people, whether they be members from the ward or just people we have met contacting or tracting. We were out tracting the other day and this kind elderly lady let us in. We talked to her for quite a while, just about her religion and Jesus Christ. Then her husband came home. He was very surprised to see us there, and I think a little nervous to see strange girls talking to his wife. But we sat them down and sang "I stand all amazed" and then he was relaxed. They told us all kinds of stories about their life, and religion. Such nice people! We are going back tomorrow to teach them a lesson.
Last week we had leadership training from Tuesday to Friday. Each day we had to drive to Lilburn for the meeting which went from 9 to 4. It was ridiculously tiring, but I still gained a lot from it. We did a lot of role plays and watched a lot of short videos about teaching. I can definitely use everything I learned there in my actual teaching. It will be great when I get to apply it to my teaching. I have never felt the spirit so strong and for so long. It really was wonderful. For those three days we had two other sisters staying with us (they actually went with us to Ryan's appointment). I had to wake up at 5 every day just so everyone could take a shower and get ready. We have one bedroom and one bathroom, and for 4 girls to share someone has to get up early. It actually worked out great for me, because I could get up and spend as much time as I wanted getting ready and no one was in there trying to do it at the same time as me. Then I would just go back and sleep for another half hour to 45 minutes.
I sleep so well here. Just minutes after my head hits my pillow I am completely out. The days are so long and busy that I am just exhausted by the end. I don't think I've ever been able to go to sleep so fast in my life. I am definitely not complaining though. I LOVE SLEEP!!!
One more thing before I sign off...we received information about the Atlanta Temple opening up and being dedicated. There will be an open house from April 9th-April 23rd. Then on the 30th there will be a cultural celebration. President Thomas S. Monson will be here for that and the dedication which will be on May 1st. There will be no church that day because they are going to broadcast the dedication to all of the meeting houses. HOW EXCITING?!?! The prophet has also asked the sisters from the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (and probably the other missions in the state) to be ushers at the open house. So we will get to go and answer questions as the public comes out of the temple. All of the missionaries in my area are going to be part of the cultural celebration as well. In addition, we also get to go to the dedication. So I will most likely get to meet President Monson, either at the celebration or the dedication. I am so excited for this temple to be re-opened. We will have so many opportunities to teach non-members because of this. A lot of work will get done, and the "truths of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent."
I love you all and am grateful for all of the support you have given me. Stand for what is right, and never forget to pray and read your Book of Mormon.
Love,
Sister Taylor (Becca)
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment