Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello Everyone,


First off, I must admit I MISS THE MTC!!! I went in thinking I would hate it and I was glad I was only going to be there for 3 weeks, but now I am super sad that it went by so fast. I had the most amazing district ever, and 6 out of the 10 went to a different mission. We got lots of pictures as a district, so it will be good to look back on those and remember the great experiences that we had. I hated having to say goodbye to mi hermana. I was fine until she was leaving the room and we were really saying goodbye. (or rather, see you later) Luckily I was the only one in my room, so I had time to compose myself...somewhat.

I have made it to Georgia. My first area of service is in Loganville, serving in the Monroe ward. One major thing about this area is that my companion and I are whitewashing it. Meaning it is a brand new area that we are opening up. So there will be lots of work to do. One other thing that is unique is that there are 6 missionaries serving in the Monroe ward. Two Elders, a Senior couple, plus my companion and me. Everyone has been so welcoming, they are super happy to be getting sister missionaries in their area. This is something they have never had.

But to backtrack a little...I arrived in Georgia on Tuesday Jan. 18th at about 2:00pm. I thought that we would be taken right away to the mission home, but NOPE! We loaded up all of our luggage into a trailer then went right back into the airport. They took us to the MARTA (a subway system) and put us on there where we would ride 40 minutes to a city where a senior couple would pick us up. We were each given two copies of the Book of Mormon and 4 pamphlets. During that 40 minutes we were to contact people on the MARTA and give out our resources. It was a cool experience. I just listened and watched the other missionaries do it for a while, waiting for my chance to do it. Then literally 1 minute before getting off I gave away my first copy of the Book of Mormon. YES! I'm a missionary!

The next day was when I found out who my companion (Sister Rebeca Eversole) would be and what area (Loganville) I would be serving in. We went to the transfer meeting and ended up having to hang around the mission office for quite some time, while some Elders were picking up a washer and dryer and beds and a bunch of random stuff for our apartment. Because we are opening up a new area, we had to move into an apartment that was completely empty. So the first two days in Georgia were spent moving in and trying to get everything we needed. So many people helped us out. The Stanley's (amazing people who I will write about if I have time) brought us cereal, fruit, and juice so that we would have breakfast in the morning. We had NO food and couldn't go shopping until the next day, so that was much appreciated. Also, a couple from the ward fed us dinner that night and gave us toilet paper, paper towels, laundry bleach, dish detergent, and milk. How nice are they?! I love the people in the Monroe Ward. Oh, and I better mention the Mogolongo's...they called us Wednesday morning to let us know that they were bringing us some essentials (flour, sugar, vanilla extract, measuring cups, etc.) Seriously the nicest people here in Loganville/Monroe.

We have met several people during the week that we have been here, and were able to set up some teaching appointments with 3. All of which unfortunately fell through. We are going to try and call them again to set up some appointments, so hopefully we'll get to teach soon.

Ok, I have to tell you about the Stanley's. They are the ward mission leaders, and have an awesome conversion story. (I'll have to save that for another time) But to make a long story short, Sister Stanley converted 2 years ago after being mad at God and Brother Stanley converted in October 2009. They are such nice people and have seriously been a major blessing to Sister Eversole and me. They brought us a kitchen table, chairs, a couch, end table, and food. They are constantly trying to find ways to help us out, which is much appreciated. It is a little stressful opening up a new area, but they make it so much easier on us.

My companion is amazing!!! I get along with her so well, and she is so kind to me. She is super patient, and helps me out so much. She also has a wonderful spirit, and her testimony is so strong. I am going to love spending the next few months with her. She has been out on her mission for a year, and leaves the beginning of July. Oh, and to answer your question mom...yes the one in the green dress was my companion, Sister Hayward.

Georgia is BEAUTIFUL!!! The only problem is I can't figure out which way is North and which way is South. There are trees everywhere. I can't wait until spring when everything will be green. Good thing i'm not the driver, because I would probably be paying attention to the scenery and not the road. And I do have to mention that I LOVE the accent. Not everyone has an accent, but those who do have a major one. Sister Stanley has the best accent by far! I am really hoping to come home with an accent, how cool would that be?! haha. Ok, so maybe none of you would think that was cool.

As a mission, we are doing a push for mormon.org. Every missionary has to make a profile on there, and every member of the church is encouraged to make one. So I highly suggest making a profile on there. It is a good way to share with non-members that LDS people are just ordinary people, who have a belief in Jesus Christ. So family and friends...go now and make a profile. Also, check out the video profiles that are on the website. There are some awesome stories there. Don't forget to share the gospel with those around you. A simple testimony of truth can make a huge impact in someone's life.

I am learning a lot being out on my mission, and I can't wait to see what kind of work will get done here. I am excited for April when the Atlanta temple will be opening back up and will be dedicated. Rumor has it that President Monson likes to talk to missionaries when he does temple dedications, (and he has to come for the dedication) so maybe i'll get to go to some special devotional or fireside or something. President King (my mission president) said that we get to help out with the open house and everything, so that will be exciting. Then we will get to go once a month with our zone to the temple.

I know that my Heavenly Father lives, and loves me. He knows who I am and who I can become. I know that I can pray to him any day, any time and He will answer my prayers. Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I am where I am today because of his faith and answered prayers. Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet, he leads and guides us today, and I know that if we follow his teachings (which ultimately come from the Lord) that we will never be led astray. The Book of Mormon is true. I encourage you all to read and re-read it. You will find answers to any question you may have. I love you all, and hope you are all doing well.

Love you long time,
Sister Becca Taylor

P.S. Josh, I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Cassidy, I hope you had a wonderful birthday, I am super sad that I had to miss it, but I was thinking about you!
Mom, Dad, Josh, Cassidy, Jordan, Alyssa, and Sandy- I love you all so so much. Thanks for all that you have done for me in my life. You have all been so supportive and I really appreciate it. I miss you all so much, but can't wait for the joyous reunion we will all have at the end of my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment