Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, June 27, 2011

Look to God and Live

Hello Hello,

Lots of GREAT news to report this week, I hardly know where to begin. But I guess I'll start with the most exciting news. Shortly after I arrived in Suwanee I was introduced to Robert. He had been to church for several weeks prior to my coming, and when we were introduced to him we were told he wanted to be baptized. So all we needed to do was teach the lessons and set a date. So that first day we met him we taught the first lesson. After that we hadn't been able to get in with him because he lives out of our area, he has health issues, and he needs rides to church each week. All of these things have been keeping him from church and/or lessons. But just this week we finally got in with him again. His friend brought him to the church so that we could teach him. For about a month we have been waiting for him to talk to his sister about when he wanted to be baptized (he told us that they would set a date). Then at our appointment he said he was just waiting for us to let him know when we were ready for him to be baptized. We were shocked to say the least. This whole time we were waiting on him and he was waiting on us. Talk about lack of communication. haha. Anyway, we set the date for Sunday. Yep, that was yesterday!

We were able to plan the baptism in 5 days with our ward mission leader out of town. That was amazing, but even more amazing was the baptism! Robert was just glowing, the spirit was so strong, and there was a great turn out of support from ward members. Sister Groneman and I put together a special musical number with some of the Elders from our zone. Seven of us sang "I know that my Redeemer lives." All in all the baptism went well, and next Sunday Robert will be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and he will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Fantastic!

Next on the list of GREAT news...we had breakfast with and taught Brother Landers again. The lesson started off a bit rough, but once we got in to it a little further the spirit was so strong. We invited him to be baptized the first week of August, so now we are preparing him for that. He is a really great guy, and I enjoy teaching him. He is not very open about how he feels or what he thinks about the lessons, but I know that he knows what we are teaching is true. You can see it in his face. One day he will surprise us and come out and share how he feels, but until that day we will just continue to love him, teach him, and prepare him to make covenants with his Father in Heaven.

I cannot end this letter without giving an update on my favorite family, the G's. They are so so so AMAZING!!! I absolutely love them to pieces, and look forward to visiting/teaching them each week. Tuesday we went over and taught them the Plan of Salvation with Sister Carlisle as our team-up. This lesson is probably my favorite. Especially after teaching it to this family. They loved it. Julio especially lit up when we started talking about the Celestial Kingdom and how to get there (which of course is through making covenants with Heavenly Father through baptism and ordinances in the temple). They were also wide eyed and very attentive when we were discussing families being together forever. The Spirit was so strong in that lesson, and they always have such a sweet spirit in their home. Maria closed the lesson with prayer. It was so great being able to see her pray, especially since we have been trying to focus more on her.

This weeks MIRACLE...Friday night we had planned to go see our family again. We decided to watch "The Testaments", figuring it would be a good family movie night for them. I was excited ALL day for this. Then 30 minutes before our appointment Maria called to say that she got off work late and they were still driving home and that they would have to reschedule. BUMMER! I was so sad about that. We didn't plan any backups because we were so sure that it would go through. But Sister Groneman had the idea of going over to try and see Roger again. We haven't seen him in a few weeks because he has been avoiding our calls, texts, and visits. But when we went over he answered and let us in. We talked for a few minutes and set up another time to meet with him. Hallelujah! He said he still wants to be baptized, but just needs more time to work towards it. I am so excited to work with him again.

As we were leaving the neighborhood (which happens to be the same one that the G family lives in) we got a call from a member. Sister Groneman pulled over so we could take the call. Then as we were talking, the G family comes driving by. They spot us and roll down the window to talk to us. Alex (13) starts yelling out the window that he wants us to come in and teach them. We asked Maria if that was ok and she said YES! Holy Cow, what a miracle! Not only did we get in to teach the G's, but we also got an appointment with Roger (which we wouldn't have gotten had Maria not called to cancel originally). Had our member not called us at that moment we would have missed the family, because we would not have been parked in front of their house.The Lord's hand truly is in this work. I see it each and every day. Oh, and the lesson went extremely well! We watched the movie and the spirit was stronger than ever. I think I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't seen it you should go and do it...NOW! You will love it!

More about the G's...they came to a baptism on Saturday that the Sugar Hill Elders were having, and they really enjoyed it. After it ended we took them into a room in the church and taught them another lesson. We then committed the entire family to be baptized on July 10th. They all said that they would work towards it, and we are very excited for them. The G's are on their way to having an eternal family.

Looking back on this week just makes me happy! I can see that the Lord has been blessing so many lives, and He will continue to do so. I was reading in Alma 37 this week and came across some excellent verses. Alma is talking to his son, Helaman and giving him counsel. He talks about the Liahona and how it guided Lehi and his family according to their faith. Alma makes a comparison with the Liahona and the word of Christ. He says "For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point unto them a straight course to the promised land. And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise. O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we look we may live forever. And now, my son, see that ye take care of these sacred things, yea, see that ye look to God and live." Look to God, and stay on the path that you know will lead you to life eternal. I am grateful for the scriptures, and for the things I learn when I study them.

I hope you all have a marvelous week, and that you can see in your life the many ways in which the Lord has blessed you.



Love,

Sister Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment