Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, July 4, 2011

Fun, Festivities and "Our Family"

Happy Independence Day Everyone,

It is a beautiful day in Georgia, great for all of the 4th of July festivities. Georgians really know how to party! :) This morning the Suwanee ward had a pancake breakfast, which was a lot of fun. They had a cute little parade with the kids in the ward where they decorated their bikes and road around the park. The family we have been teaching came to that, as well as lunch at the Bishop's house. They had a huge BBQ (they call them cookouts here in the South) with lots of delicious food. The Galt's invited us, the Elders, and the G family to that in addition to their BIG, fantastic family. We had a blast over there. The kids swam a little bit, and then everyone decided to play crack the egg on the trampoline. Yes, even the Sister Missionaries were cool enough to join in. (well, I tried as best I could in a skirt) Tonight we get to go be with the G family again to watch fireworks. What a joy it has been to spend our "P" day with this family and the ward! I absolutely LOVE it here in Suwanee! It truly does feel like home.

As for an update for this week...It has been another marvelous one for us. We had an amazing experience teaching the G family on Friday night. We went over planning to watch the Joseph Smith movie, because that's what we felt Maria really needed. She needed to have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. So right away we popped the movie in, and every once in a while I would look at the faces of each family member (minus Maria, cause I couldn't see her from where I was sitting) to see if I could tell what they thought. Everyone had smiles on their faces. Julio smiles every time we watch a spiritually powerful movie like that. But at the end we asked them all what they thought of it, and this is a moment I hope I won't soon forget. I looked at Maria and she was all smiles. Her face was completely lit up! It was absolutely amazing to see the change in her. I had been praying throughout the movie that she would be touched in some way, and my prayer was answered ten-fold. We asked the family what they thought of Joseph Smith, and she immediately responded saying that he was a prophet of God. She had gained a testimony of Joseph Smith! I then mentioned to the family that we would like to move forward with the plans for them to be baptized on July 10th, and asked if we could announce it in Sacrament meeting on Sunday. Maria got a huge smile and said yes. Soooo...we are having a baptism for 6 of Heavenly Father's amazing children!

We set up to meet with the family the very next morning, and we taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ again as well as the Word of Wisdom. We also went over the baptismal interview questions. Two of the boys have some fears, but we told them that with the Lord's help they would be ready by next Sunday, so they agreed to pray and seek guidance from Heavenly Father. They will all be ready! :)

It was absolutely fantastic hearing Julio and Maria announce their baptism in Sunday School, along with the Bishop's announcement in Sacrament meeting. It makes it seem that much more real to me. It is not often that missionaries have the chance to baptize an entire family, so we feel very blessed to be in this area at this time to witness something so great. I have been filled with so much joy the past few weeks. Ever since the beginning of my time here in Suwanee, when I first met the kids I have been in love with this family. I love each and every lesson we have with them, and being able to develop this friendship with such a wonderful family.

Robert was confirmed a member of the church in Sacrament meeting yesterday, and that was a great thing to see. People are coming unto Christ each and every day, and it is wonderful being able to witness these things for myself. Joy comes in and through the teachings of the gospel, and being able to see these teachings take effect in other peoples lives. I wish so badly that everyone could take part in this joy. I look forward to being able to continue teaching throughout this next year on my mission, and then taking what I learn on my mission and helping people back home come unto Christ.

I hope you all have a very blessed day! Enjoy the fireworks and BBQ's! But most importantly, enjoy the time you get to spend with family and friends. I love you all



Love,

Sister Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment