Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, July 9, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

Good day to y'all,
I am really hoping I can write something that makes sense, cause it has been a CRAZY week and I'm a tad bit scatter brained right now. Throughout the mission I have definitely learned to expect the unexpected. Anything can change in a moment with missionary work. Which can be very exciting, but at the same time extremely stressful. Tuesday Sister Bulouniwasa and I got a call from the Assistants saying they had a "wonderful opportunity" for us. They then told us that we were going to be in a trio the last 2 weeks of the transfer. One of the Sisters got sick and had to go home, leaving Sister Scott companion less. We were to go pick her up at the mission office that night. (which really wasn't that big of a deal because we live 10 minutes away) The thing about this emergency transfer is that we are now covering the Lilburn Ward (where Sister Scott was serving) in addition to the branch. It's amazing how the Lord grants the simple desires of your hearts. Since I came out on the mission I have always wanted to serve in Lilburn...I thought that opportunity had past. I am grateful for this change (though I admit I was not super happy about it the first few days)
This week has been so busy, but so fulfilling as well. I have learned a lot in just one week. We have been going going going...non-stop! Sister Aubree Scott has taught me a great deal about diligence and hard work. She is the most diligent and dedicated missionary I know. She came out at the same time as me. We were just in different districts in the MTC. She is from Arizona, so she doesn't mind this horrendous heat. We have mostly been covering the Lilburn Ward simply because there's a lot more going on in that area. The people seem to be more receptive. I've met some incredible people this week...
Mercy and Melissa- I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again...the Lord is mindful of our desires. Before I got my mission call I wanted to serve in Africa-specifically Ghana. Even though I didn't get called to Ghana, I feel like Heavenly Father has brought Ghana to me. Just these past few months I have been able to meet some amazing people from Africa. Mercy and Melissa being two. Mercy is a member. She converted in 2004 in Jonesboro, Georgia. Now we are teaching her nine year old daughter, Melissa. Oh what a sweet girl she is. She is so excited to be baptized and just wants it to happen now. Unfortunately Mercy feels like she needs to get her mom's permission before going through with the baptism. Her mom still lives in Ghana, so she only talks to her by phone sometimes. We have met with them a couple of times this past week and are trying to figure out what her concerns might be. In the meantime, I love meeting with them. They both have such sweet spirits and are very humble.
Dana- She is a recent convert, baptized about a month ago. I can tell she loves learning about this wonderful gospel of Jesus Christ. If there's something she doesn't fully understand she is not afraid to ask questions. I love it. Her boyfriend, Will, is taking the discussions and wants to be baptized. He has some hold ups but I believe that when he does get baptized he will be an amazing member.
Isaac- Sister Bulouniwasa and I actually tracted into this guy a couple weeks ago, and he immediately invited us in. This past week we were able to go over and teach him the Restoration. He had some really good insights, and understands things really quickly. We invited him to be baptized on July 29th, so he is now working towards that date. He comes from a large family of 8 siblings. I love looking at the pictures in his house because you can tell he really cares about his family.
I have been able to see so many miracles this week. We have been trying hard to "open our mouths" and "preach Jesus" as President Wolfert has been counseling us the past few months. It seems like just this week we've talked with more people than I have my entire mission. Everywhere we go we like to stop anyone we see along the way and atleast share with them a little about Mormon.org. We've been able to meet a lot of really great people this way. I am loving talking to people.
Sunday was crazy, but wonderful. Since we are now covering two congregations we had two sets of meetings to attend. Thankfully we were able to figure things out quickly. Sister Connors (the mission office Secretary) came on a split with me so I could attend the branch council while my companions went to a meeting for the Lilburn Ward. After the meetings we met up for the Branch's Sacrament meeting. Part way through Sister Scott had to leave to go to the Lilburn Ward for any investigators that might show up. Sister Connors was kind enough to go on a split with her for that. So while Sister Scott was attending Lilburn's Sacrament meeting and Sunday School, Sister Bulouniwasa and I were teaching the Sunday School class and attending Relief Society in the Branch. We had to quickly leave when those were over so we could meet back up with Sister Scott for the Lilburn Ward's Relief Society. They were talking about missionary work, so they asked us to participate in the lesson. Everything went pretty smoothly and we even had a couple of non-members attend.
President Wolfert was also the speaker in the branch, so that was a treat to hear from him. Sister Scott and I were asked to bear our testimonies since we are both leaving soon
:( We're not talking about that though. I am so so so excited for this week. It is going to be another crazy busy week, but a great one as well. It's Sister Scott's birthday on Friday, so all week we have birthday dinners set up with members. (also birthday lunches) We don't have to cook for ourselves at all this week. Win! I am so grateful for members who so selflessly help the missionaries out. I have grown to love and appreciate the members here in Georgia. And I'm grateful to know that there are members like this all over the world :)
Well, there's a lot more that happened this week that I'd love to share, but I haven't got the time and you're all probably wondering when I'll end. So I'll just end by saying thank you for all the support you've given me throughout my mission. The Gospel is true, and it blesses lives! It has truly blessed mine. I love y'all so much and hope you have a marvelous week!
with much love, Sister Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment