Becca has been called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North mission. She will be gone from December 29, 2010-July 19, 2012. Her mom will be updating this blog frequently with the letters she sends home. Her most curent mission address will also be added as a post, if you wish to send her a letter-which she would LOVE!





Monday, April 4, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hello Hello!
I decided that today I will break up my letter into three parts...the good, the bad, and the ugly. But I'll go backwards so that we end with the good. :)

The Ugly: My foot hurts! Actually, to say that it hurts is kind of an understatement. On Thursday we were out walking all day long (which I loved by the way). I now know that if you're going to be out walking for hours you need to have good, comfortable, supportive shoes. By the end of the day my feet were sore, but nothing too bad. The next day my foot started to hurt whenever I walked on it. By Saturday the pain got worse, and since then I have barely been able to walk. It hurts to put any pressure on it. The weird thing is, it's only when I stand. When I massage it or push on it, nothing happens. So...I don't know what's wrong with it. But if I walk on it for too long the pain starts to shoot up from the bottom of my foot to around my ankle. It feels like something is going to explode. :/ But to look on the bright side...I came to suffer in my Redeemers name, and I think I'm succeeding! First the peanuts, now the foot.

The Bad: We have been unable to get in to teach the majority of our investigators, so there hasn't been much teaching going on. Sad sad day!

The Good: There are actually quite a few good things that happened this week.
1. Since we haven't had any investigators to teach, we have had ample time to distribute temple open house invitations. President King (being the creative man that he is) created a wonderful invitation for us to hand out to anyone and everyone we come in contact with. It has a beautiful picture of the temple on it with some information about temples, along with a wonderful quote by Boyd K. Packer. There is also a map of where it is located, and scan codes for the technologically advanced (they take you to YouTube videos and the ticket reservation website, etc.). It looks amazing, and everyone seems to be impressed with them. We have gone to multiple neighborhoods taking them door to door.

2. Sister Eversole and I got to do the radio show again. This time it was just the two of us, and I was so nervous. It did go well though. We talked about the Christ-like attribute of Charity and love.

3. In preparation for General Conference this past weekend, I thought of some questions I wanted answered. I have been praying about them for the past couple of weeks, believing that I would receive an answer. Let me tell you, if you pray with real intent, believing that you will get an answer, it will happen.

4. General Conference was absolutely wonderful. I have been so excited to hear what the General Authorities had to say, especially President Thomas S. Monson. Sister Eversole and I went to the church to watch, and for two of the sessions it was just us. That was quite wonderful, especially when I started to cry with the announcement of the new temple being built in Meridian. Whoa! Best news EVER! Call me emotional if you want, but seriously I was so prepared to hear that there was a temple being built in Idaho. A couple of weeks ago my companion and I were talking about temples, and I told her that if there was ever going to be another temple built in Idaho that it would be in Meridian. So when President Monson said there were going to be 3 new temples, I was expecting him to announce one in Idaho. I cannot wait! I am hoping I will get to help out at that open house.

Highlights from General Conference:
Elder Paul V. Johnson spoke about trials and how they can and should strengthen us. Some points from his talk that I liked are:
~ Affliction is part of our mortal experience
~ Trials build our character and make us stronger. They can also build our faith.
~ Being good is not enough. We want to become like our Savior.
~ The only way to see the views is to make the climb. Blessings can be seen after working hard and facing trials the best that
we can.
~ Marvelous blessings are found on the heel of trials.
~ Particular challenges prepare us for things that are vitally important.
~ Growth cannot come by taking the easy way.
~ Endure in the Lord's time and in the Lord's way
My favorite scripture was referenced in his talk. Philippians 4:13 says: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

I know that it is through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement that we can gain the strength that we need to go throughout life. Trials can and will make us stronger if we allow them to. I love you all, and am grateful for the support! Have a marvelous week!

Love,
Sister Taylor

P.S. Georgia is great! The weather is getting better. Yellow pollen covers the cars and street (no allergies yet), but the trees and grass are still beautiful. I will be in Lilburn/Atlanta for two weeks beginning Friday. I will get to e-mail still, but it may not be on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment